Hires Drive Company Momentum with M+A Strategy and Vision
US Acute Care Solutions (“USACS”), the majority-physician-owned organization established by Emergency Medicine Physicians (“EMP”) and Welsh Carson Anderson and Stowe in April 2015 dedicated to becoming a national leader in emergency medicine and hospitalist services, today welcomed five critical executive leadership hires to the USACS team.
“USACS entered the market at the right time with the right model – high-quality patient care, strong operational capabilities and empowered physician-ownership ” said Dominic Bagnoli, MD, chief executive officer, USACS. “The landscape is seeing incredible change, and we believe these hires, along with several on the way, continue our position as market leader and our vision for disrupting the industry by providing physicians with a viable alternative for their future.”
Historically, independent emergency medicine groups either sell their practice or face a challenging healthcare environment alone. EMP and capital partner, Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe, created a third strategic alternative with USACS, where practices and hospital systems can partner with a company led by physicians with the resources, business support and capital of a substantial enterprise.
The new USACS leadership team hires include:
- A global innovator and leader at STERIS Corporation, Dave Johnson joins USACS as chief operating officer, focused on establishing optimal processes and systems for disruption by creating an operational rhythm – efficient prioritization, organization and accelerated execution.
- Dan Savitt is an experienced healthcare innovator with a keen understanding for scaling organizations. Following his successful tenures at Landmark Health and UnitedHealth Group, Savitt joins USACS as chief financial officer, focused on aggressive growth and strategic M&A planning. Savitt's robust financial literacy and operational knowledge will extend to new USACS partners via integrated onboarding initiatives.
- Tasked with continuing and expanding the EMP culture, enhancing the leadership and management skills of USACS’s physician leaders, and implementing talent development initiatives that build a diverse and high-performing team across the company, Sharon Brunecz, chief human resources officer, USACS, most recently served as senior vice president at PNC, where she led the talent management function. She has continuously set and driven progressive strategies on talent management, from recruiting to performance management to leadership development, and truly embodies the culture of USACS.
- With a strong record for building innovative relationships and effective operations strategy, Brad Keller joins USACS from UnitedHealthcare as executive vice president of managed care, overseeing all USACS payor contracting initiatives. Keller brings a strong understanding of relational capital to the USACS leadership team, with significant experience in sales, marketing, client services, network development and contract management.
- With deep buy and sell side experience, Sam Vaill takes on the chief development officer role at USACS where he will be responsible for building an extensive team to execute USACS’s aggressive M&A strategy, as well as working with physicians across the U.S. to educate and bring them into the USACS partnership. Vaill most recently co-lead the healthcare practice at boutique investment bank, MHT MidSpan, out of Boston, working with numerous physician groups and healthcare companies.
“USACS brings thought-leadership to the industry and, now, an executive team with shared core values to drive and continue to develop the USACS mission,” said Peter Hudson, MD, board chairman of USACS. “We are focused on becoming the industry leader, and we need best-in-class executives to champion yet another superior disruption to a stale healthcare system desperately needing innovation.”
USACS is one of the largest physician-owned emergency medicine practices in the country, with more than 900 doctors and 400 advanced practice providers. The new USACS hires all join the team this month, with additional hires coming throughout fall 2015.
US Acute Care Solutions (USACS)
Canton-based USACS is a wholly-owned subsidiary of EMP Holdings Ltd. Established in April 2015, USACS is a majority-physician-owned network focused on becoming the national leader in emergency medicine and hospitalist services with its patient-first approach to practice. USACS offers independent emergency medicine groups a strategic partnership by providing business support, industry resources and capital backing.
Emergency Medicine Physicians (EMP Holdings Ltd.)
Established in 1992, Emergency Medicine Physicians is one of the leading providers of emergency medical services in the nation. EMP was founded by practicing emergency medicine physicians, who had a vision for creating a better way to deliver emergency medicine care with physicians as owners. The group has achieved this vision by focusing on core values that create a culture where patients, physicians and hospital partners thrive.